Thursday, December 16, 2010

Showin' Some Love #9

While Christmas is my favorite holiday, this is most definitely not my favorite time of year! Don't get me wrong - I love having seasons. I even enjoy getting snow. But it's the freezing rain and slick, slippery roads I'm not a fan of. Driving 30 mph down an ice-covered country road is not my idea of fun!

But aside from that, I truly love Christmas! So in keeping with the Christmas spirit, here's a quick list of some of my favorite things during Christmas-time:

• The Spirit of Giving
I think one of the biggest reasons I love this time of year is because of the idea of giving that surrounds it. I try to be a giving person all year round - helping people however I can, but there's just something about the spirit of Christmas-time I just love. Maybe it's just me, but I feel like I see more people being generous this time of year. It's a wonderful thing when we can help each other in whatever little ways we can.



• Family Togetherness
I also love the feeling of togetherness that comes with Christmas. It seems like everyone wants to be with their family and loved ones. There's this idea of sharing food, hot cocoa, maybe a movie together - and just generally enjoying each other's company. At least that's the picture I get in my head of what Christmas should feel and be like.



• White Christmas
It's a tradition in my family to watch the old movie White Christmas at least once together as a family this time of year. It's something my mom started doing with us when we were younger, and now I look forward to it every year.


• Hot Chocolate
Actually I could drink hot chocolate all year long, but there's something so perfect, so aesthetic, about curling up under a big fluffy blanket and drinking a cup of hot chocolate in the winter. We've taken to purchasing the big variety pack of Land of Lakes Hot Cocoa mix at Sam's Club. Chocolate Graham Cracker and Tiramisu are my favorites!


• Baking
Christmas time is the best excuse for baking! You fire up the oven and it adds and extra oomph of heat to the whole house and then the smell of whatever you're baking makes the whole house smell delicious! Yum! When we were little, my mom and her sisters and all the girl cousins would get together and bake during Christmas-time. We'd make sugar cookies, and hard rock candle, caramels, and gingerbread cookies, and all kinds of delicious treats! I miss doing this, but now I have an excuse to do baking myself and someday it will be something I can do with my girls. :)


Well there's just a few reasons I love this holiday! Check back tomorrow... I'm hoping to have a blog post up in the next few days about a truly giving, wonderful couple and how you can help them.

No comments:

Post a Comment