Friday, September 3, 2010

Absorbing Knowledge Like a Sponge

I've been learning a lot lately. As I mentioned last week, I was participating in creativeLIVE's amazing online Wedding Photography Workshop with the fabulous Jasmine Star. It was amazing! I still haven't finished watching all the videos, but I've already learned so much! So HUGE thanks to the whole creativeLIVE team for all their hard work; Laura & Billy for letting their special day become a learning experience for millions; and of course Jasmine, JD, and Chase!

I also just purchased Dane Sander's book Fast Track Photographer today. I haven't made it very far into it either and again - I feel like I'm learning lots. I really think that both the creativeLIVE event and this book are really going to help me improve my business, my personal life, and what I provide to all of you - my clients.

Somedays I feel really overwhelmed with work. I'm not just a photographer - I'm a business owner, an accountant, a photo editor, a designer, an archiver, a marketer... a wife, a daughter, a momma (to my puppy), and a friend. It's a lot of jobs to have, and they often suck up a lot (if not all) of my time. I don't begrudge this by any means! I'm just finally learning to balance it all and where my priorities need to be.

Changes are going to be made to the business and to my life, and all of them are going to be for the better. Not just for me but for all my clients too! One of these awesome changes is that I'm finally going to place myself a little higher up on my priority list. I'm the type of person who takes care of everybody else and puts myself at the bottom of the list...and since I have no time for myself I never get taken care of. I know that if I take better care of me - I will be better able to take care of you. It also wouldn't hurt to have a life outside of my business too. ;)

I'll share more of the changes as I start planning and moving forward with them. I'd like to leave you with this poem/quote I found the other day.

In Pursuit of Happiness:

We convince ourselves that life will be better after
we get married, have a baby, then another.
Then we are frustrated that the kids aren't old enough
and we'll be more content when they are.

After that, we're frustrated that we have teenagers to deal with.
We will certainly be happy when they are out of that stage.
We tell ourselves that our life will be complete when our
spouse gets his or her act together, when we get a nicer
car, are able to go on a nice vacation, or when we retire.

The truth is, there's no better time to be happy than right now.
If not now, when? Your life will always be filled with challenges.



It's best to admit this to yourself and decide to be happy anyway.
Happiness is the way. So, treasure every moment that you have
and treasure it more because you shared it with someone special,
special enough to spend your time with...and remember that time
waits for no one.

So, stop waiting

--until your car or home is paid off
--until you get a new car
 or home
--until your kids leave the house
--until you go back to school
--until you lose ten pounds
--until you gain ten pounds
--until you finish school

--until you get married
--until you have kids
--until you retire
--until summer
--until spring

--until winter
--until fall
--until you die

There is no better time than RIGHT NOW to be happy.
Happiness is a JOURNEY, not a destination.
So -- work like you don't need money,
Love like you've never been hurt,
And dance like no one's watching.

~author unknown~

No comments:

Post a Comment